Wednesday, February 11, 2009

No Surgery for Now

I spoke with JW's pediatrician yesterday. He has an ultrasound scheduled for tomorrow morning to take some measurements of his pylorus and if there is anything abnormal they will probably repeat it in 2-3 weeks. The doc spoke with a surgeon who said surgery will only be done if JW starts exhibiting the classic signs of pyloric stenosis--projectile vomitting, weight loss, dehydration, etc. The pediatrician was surprised. She thought it would be better to do the surgery now while JW is healthy. But she said there's only a small chance that this will go away on its own and that he will need the surgery at some point. I disagree. He's so much better than he was a month ago. Plus, he's gained 5 ounces in 2 days. So basically JW is saying, "Pyloric stenosis? I laugh in your general direction." The boy is an eating machine lately. He is now 4 times his birth weight, plus 1.5 oz. Go Justice!

No comments: