Thursday, September 25, 2008

Rough Afternoon

This morning Justice's nurse told me everything was status quo. I got to the NICU this evening and found out he had a rough afternoon. (Guess I should have called again.) They think he has an infection, so they've started him on antibiotics. This came as no surprise to the NICU staff. The nurse practitioner said it's probably a UTI and made it sound like this is pretty typical around 1 week old.

His nurse was going to let me change his diaper, but as soon as she opened his isolette he had a bradycardic spell - his heart rate dropped significantly. No sooner did his heart rate come back up than his sats dropped. By the time his nurse and NP got him suctioned and re situated his nurse either forgot, or decided it was better if she changed his diaper. Maybe tomorrow. She did let me swab his mouth and gums with a medicine they use to keep him from an infection in his mouth. At least it was something!

The NP that was on tonight is probably my favorite of all the ones I've met so far. She's the one who told us that the hospital prayer team had prayed over Justice. She calls him JW. She's was very encouraging and wanting me to be as hands on as possible. The whole time she was listening to his lungs and suctioning him and trying to get his vent tube positioned right she kept telling me to hold his hand and talk to him. She didn't care if I was in the way or not.

His nurse tonight is very good about allowing us to touch him as much as possible too. Even though he'd had a bad day she kept telling me to hold his hand or touch his head cuz he was looking for me. Some of the nurses want us to leave him alone as much as possible, even when he's had a good day.

Justice is up to 3 mL of milk every 3 hours now. He was looking around non-stop for about 15 minutes and as soon as his nurse gave him his milk he closed his eyes and went to sleep. It was pretty cute if I say so myself.

At one point he had a grip on my finger and when he let go I realized my fingertip was slightly numb. I looked and the tips of his fingers were white. The kid has a great grip!

Here he is the other night with his CPAP headgear and pacifier.


Here he is tonight with his gorilla. (Georgia says the gorilla's name is Monkey.) Monkey looks like King Kong next to him!

(Look! He's already got the "Blakey Red Eye"!)

No comments: