Thursday, June 26, 2008

Serenity Now!

I'm stealing the title from Marie's latest blog.

My week so far:
Monday - I'm walking out the door for work and Dakota dislocates her elbow...again. She did it the first time back in April. Just like in April, after about 2 hours it popped back in by itself.

Tuesday - I call the nurse to tell her about Dakota's elbow and she calls back and says I need to bring her in. We make an appointment for Wednesday morning.
That evening, I get home from work to find Feisty, my 16 year old cat, in the laundry room with a bloody nose. What the heck?!?!

Wednesday - On the way to Dakota's appointment I call the vet and make an appointment for Feisty at 3 p.m.
Obviously, since Dakota's elbow is where's it's supposed to be and she's not in pain, there's not much Dr. Wallace can do but show me how to pop it back in if it were (probably will) happen again. It's called Nursemaid's Elbow and is likely to keep happening until she is 5, because the ligaments are now stretched, then supposedly it will start getting stronger. I take advantage of being at the Dr's office and ask about the spot on Dakota's shoulder. It's ringworm. What?
Feisty's appointment, because Feisty has bleeding in her eyes as well as her nose, the vet immediately starts talking worst case scenarios, like bleeding disorders. You want to upset a pregnant lady who's attached to her 16 year old cat? Talk worst case scenarios. Not only that, he wants to keep her at the office for 2 days and an additional $100 in case she starts bleeding again. No thanks, I'll take her home where I can love on her. So I leave with Feisty and 2 different medications...for Feisty, not me, although at that point I would have welcomed some.
Feisty was feeling better by bedtime and ate dinner as well as quite a bit of the cream cheese from my bagel.

Thursday - Georgia wakes up with crusty eyes. Yay.
The vet calls, Feisty's blood work is normal. Apparently she doesn't have a bleeding disorder, or FIV (Feline AIDS), or Feline Leukemia, just some sort of infection, as her white blood cell count was elevated. Nothing more. Keep giving her the meds and we'll see her again in a few days.
While at WalMart, I notice Georgia's eyes are red and watery, so I call the doctor and make a 3 o'clock appointment for her with the nurse practitioner.
3 o'clock rolls around, it's Pink Eye. Seriously?
Nurse Mary faxes a prescription to the pharmacy and off we go. Only to arrive at the pharmacy 30 minutes later to find they haven't even processed the order yet. 15 minutes they tell me. 40 minutes, 2 overly rambunctious, overtired little girls who left their listening ears at home, and one frazzled mom later, it's done.
Get home, try to put the drops in Georgia's eyes. Yeah right. How am I supposed to do this 4 times a day when I can't even pry her eyes open to do it the first time? I'm looking forward to Dakota getting the Pink Eye sometime soon so we can do this all over again.

I hope Friday's better.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll let you rest next week while you're home as Grams is Super Mom and can handle two Little Girls quite well Thank You very much!
See you Tuesday!

Anonymous said...

Dude Aunt Neller will be home in the evening to take over. Ha! I will give EVRYONE the break! THANK YOU very much! :)

Marie A said...

ok, you win. Serenity Now! I hope Friday was better. :)

love you girl -
M