Saturday, June 26, 2010

Inked

I've always thought about getting a tattoo, but never could decide on a location or anything I wanted permanently on my body. Until January of this year that is. I decided my foot is the only place I would want one, and I wanted something to represent my 3 kids. So the location was set, but I could not decide on a design. Birth month flowers? Birth month trees, or at least the leaves? Something not related to their birth months at all? I had no clue. So that plan went on the back burner until a couple weeks ago. The girls and I were at the Butterfly Pavilion with my Aunt Carol who was in town and the design just came to me. Now to decide what butterflies to use. I wanted them realistic looking. I was going through the pictures I took at the Pavilion and came across this little guy.


I just loved all the colors and detail in the back side of his wings. I looked at the brochure from the Pavilion and discovered he is a lacewing butterfly. And so my search for pictures of lacewing butterflies began. I figured I had some time because I needed to save my pennies for this piece of artwork. But the MoMs' message board came through once again and within a week, I had the necessary cash. Ack! There was no rush to get it done, but since Grams was coming to visit, I decided that would be a perfect time to get it done since we'd have built in childcare. So I searched the internet for the perfect pictures, and finally settled on a few that I liked.

Yesterday, while Grams watched the girls I went and had this done.


Yeah, it hurt.

So this little blue guy on my ankle, the intention was for him to be a lacewing as well. However, I could not find a picture of a lacewing in flight. After some discussion with Jake, I decided it would be ok if this one wasn't the same as the other two and settled on a picture of a blue morpho in flight.


And here's a little bit more close up shot of the lacewings and the purple flowers (which are inspired by the the purple flowers in the picture I took at the Pavilion).


Even though my foot is swollen and red today, I'm so glad I had it done. I'm completely happy with how it turned out.

5 comments:

Tasha said...

Beautiful. In my opinion, symbolism for a tattoo is the way to go. I have one for my angel - still working on the one for J and M.

Lanie said...

I love the tattoo, and I love the picture from the Pavillions. It looks just like a professional shot. Nice job.

Anonymous said...

when your mom told me u got a tatoo I thought she meant a little something. I like it. Ouch is my first thought. Love to all Aunt P

Marie A said...

I LOVE it. the symbolism and choice in butterflies is perfect. :-)

Anonymous said...

Beautiful!! LOVE THE TAT!!!