Tuesday, December 29, 2009

'He's Doing Great!'

That's what the doc told me during rounds this morning.

I apologize for not updating sooner, it's been a busy few days what with Christmas and all. The girls got to come in and see Justice for a couple hours on Christmas Day. They opened his presents for him. Saturday, the girls left for Portland with Grams. They are, of course, having a blast. I'll see if I can get Aunt Neller to post some pictures. Sunday Justice was moved from the PICU to the Pulmonary Unit. He spends part of his days on high flow cannula and part on CPAP. We're trying to get him to just needing CPAP at night and being completely off it by the time he goes home. If he had his way, he'd be off CPAP all together right now. He only pulled it off his head 3 times last night. It took some discussion, but I got the docs to agree to let Justice breastfeed. He was on continuous feeds of breastmilk through a pump and I was ok with continuing those as long as he's able to nurse
for comfort. But this morning they decided to turn the pump off during the day and let him feed on demand and turn the pump on at night while he's on CPAP. He's a much happier boy (even he's already ridiculously happy) now that he gets his most favorite thing in the whole wide world, me. He smiles at pretty much everyone who comes in his room. He's acting much more like himself now that he's off all the drugs and over most of the withdrawals. He's still pretty weak. Doesn't like to hold his head up for very long. Physical therapy comes in and works with him each day. I have no idea how much longer we'll be here. Nobody has given me an estimate.

No comments: