Sunday, August 16, 2009

OYA - August 16, 2008



At some point during the week Dr. R had come in on her morning rounds and told me about a patient of hers that had multiple abruptions and ended up carrying her baby almost to full term. She had seen the patient the day before and the baby was now 5 and about to start Kindergarten. Dr. R was always very encouraging. JW and I were in Dr. R's office a couple weeks ago and her nurse told me about a current patient who had been in patient for a week, was about 21 weeks, her water had broken and they suspected an abruption as well. I wondered if we were the story of the day the next morning. I hope so. I'd like to think Dr. R shared our story and gave the patient some hope like she had with me.

Ok, August 16 was a big day. The hospital I was in was closing and I was being transferred to the new, bigger, better hospital. Jake had stayed the night with me because in just a week's time I'd already accumulated a bunch of stuff in my room, so he had to help move me. My nurse woke us up at 6 that morning and told us to be ready to go at 7. At 6:30 another nurse came in and said my ambulance was there. Good thing we were ready.

I was the first patient to leave the old hospital and there were a few bumps to iron out, so Jake beat me to the new hospital by at least half an hour. One team of paramedics loaded me on to a stretcher and took me to the Labor and Deliver exit where another team was supposed to be waiting. They weren't. Once the ambulance pulled up, the empty stretcher was given to the hospital team and I was passed off to the ambulance team. Finally, we were on our way. It was a very uneventful ride to the new hospital. Which, I guess if you're going to have to take a ride in and ambulance, it's better to have an uneventful ride. :) We got to the new hospital and there was some news media there taking pictures. Inside the ER another team of paramedics was supposed to be waiting with an empty stretcher to trade the ambulance team for me and my stretcher. They weren't waiting and no one in the ER seemed to know what was supposed to be happening. Finally, someone showed up who knew what was going on and he went and fetched the paramedics. I was passed off to the new team who may have gotten a little turned around a time or two finding our way to the Labor and Delivery wing, despite all the signs that had been put up just for moving day.

My new room was huge! It was about twice the size of my room at the old hospital and definitely bigger than any one room in our house. From my bed I had a view of the busy boulevard the hospital was one, but from the couch there was a glorious view of Pikes Peak and the Front Range.

Jake hung out until after lunch, then he went home. My mom and the girls came up for dinner. I was in the shower when Dakota decided to see what some of the buttons on the wall were for and managed to push the "code blue" button in the corner of the room reserved for the baby's bed. I guess a whole slew of nurses came running in even though there was no baby. Honestly, who's idea was it to put that button right at a three year old's height?

Other than the excitement of getting to move, it was a pretty boring day medically speaking. That's a good thing.

No comments: