Thursday, August 06, 2009

One Year Ago - August 6, 2008



On the morning of August 6, 2008 I packed up the girls and the three of us ventured off to Dr. R's office again. I went in for the ultrasound and after that saw Dr. R. Fluid was up a little from the day before, but was still too low. I don't remember all the possible causes of low fluid that she mentioned, but among them were no kidneys and/or bladder, problems with the kidneys, and a problem with the placenta. Kidney and bladder issues didn't have a very good outcome for the baby. If the kidneys and bladder checked out and the issue was simply low fluid, the biggest complication in that case was pulmonary hypoplasia where the lack of fluid would cause the lungs to be compressed. Worst case scenario, JW lungs would be so underdeveloped he would not be able to breathe at birth and there was nothing medicine could do for him. Even though I had read all of this online the night before, this is when the tears started coming.

Dr. R was sending me to see the new perinatologist affiliated with her practice. She called him and his first comment was that my water had to have broken and I just didn't realize it. Ok, granted I never went into labor with the girls, but I think I'd have known if my water had broken. Anyway, the peri, Dr. M, agreed to see me the next morning. The next morning? Why not right now?!?! His office was just across the street, I could have been there in an instant!

We left Dr. R's office and I called Jake. I was very upset by now and I'm not even sure all my words were completely understandable through the crying. But I finally got him filled in and he decided to take the next day off and go to the appointment with me.

I will say that Jake and I were pretty flabbergasted over the turn of events in the pregnancy. I carried the girls to 38 weeks without a hint of labor and absolutely no complications. If a multiple pregnancy was that easy for me, a singleton pregnancy should have been nothing!

The next post will be a long one. Our day started at 7:30 and ended at midnight. So make sure you're comfy and have something to drink and possibly a snack when you sit down to read tomorrow. ;)

No comments: