Wednesday, June 03, 2009

That's a Big Bug

This thing, um, bug? is flying around our sage right now. Jake thought it was a hummingbird until I got our there with the camera and managed to snap a few shots. By the camera flash we were able to see antennae and stripes. Definitely not a bird. Not sure what it is. A moth? The pix aren't the best quality, cuz let's face it, my point and shoot camera is only so good, then if you add darkness and a moving target...well, you get the idea from these 2 pix anyway. It's got this crazy angled beak? mouth? straw? that you can see in the first pic.

UPDATE: It's a striped morning sphinx or a white striped sphinx, a type of hawk moth. I also found one website that referred to it as a hummingbird moth.

4 comments:

Glenn 'n Daava said...

check out a couple of these photos:
http://www.wunderground.com/data/wximagenew/n/novembergale/214.jpg
or
http://images.whatsthatbug.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/morning_sphinx_az.jpg

Tiff Blakey said...

whatsthatbug.com is where I found out what the little guy is. Seems like a pretty cool site. I'd explore it some more, but I'm not that fond of bugs and don't really want to look at lots of creepy crawlies.

Anonymous said...

Ok enough of the bug already. Kids Please!

Anonymous said...

Love the pics of the kid and because I love hummingbirds this pic of hummingbird moth I've never seen one really intrest me. I think its cool and intresting for the kids. love to all aunt mops