Monday, March 09, 2009

Chickens!



If you're thinking we're crazy, you're probably right. But by this time next year we'll be eating colorful backyard fresh eggs!

Meet Sam. Not sure if Sam is a boy or girl yet, but he/she is a Rhode Island Red and will lay brown eggs (if she is indeed a girl).


This is our other Rhode Island Red, Rae. Again, not sure of the sex.


The next 4 are girls.

This is Meg. She's a Silver Leghorn and will lay white eggs.


This is Flo. She's an Araucana and though it's tough to tell from the picture, she is not solid yellow. She has some tan on her and has green legs. There's no telling what she'll look like when she grows up, but she'll lay blue or green eggs.


This is Lu. She a Pearl White Leghorn. She's your typical white hen and will lay typical white eggs.


And this is Char. She's another Araucana and is more brown than this picture would have you believe.


Of course Zeuss can't leave them alone.


Georgia has decided Lu is her chicken.


And Dakota has chosen Char for her own.


The only one you can't see in this pic is Char. She's in the corner, under the others.


Kota and Zeuss watching the new additions.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is how I know you are soooo right for my brother!!!! Oh the adventure! I am not telling Luke and Jack...I am so no fun!!!!

Tiff Blakey said...

You'll have to bring the boys for a visit and they can chase chickens around the backyard with the girls.

Hoopies said...

How in the world can you tell them all apart and remember their names? Sometimes I call my own children by each others names.:)

Tiff Blakey said...

Practice. I have identical twins. And when in doubt there's a list of the chick's names and markings taped to the top of the box.