Friday, October 03, 2008

Little Mr. Alert!

Jake and I got to the hospital in time for "hands on" tonight. They try to limit how often the babies are touched and "messed" with because technically, babies Justice's gestational age, 29.5 weeks, wouldn't be getting touched right now anyway. So every few hours the nurses will do every thing at once. Adjust his tubes, change his diaper, put this medicine in his mouth, change his position, etc. Justice is getting hands on every 3 hours because that's how often he eats. Usually it's every 4 hours. Hands on is a nice time to be there because that's when his isolette is open and we can take pictures. It's also when, depending on his nurse, Jake and I can actually do things for Justice and have a chance to feel involved.

Fortunately tonight our favorite NP was on duty and though we'd never met Justice's nurse we immediately took a liking to her. Both of the ladies were very encouraging for us to do as much as possible for Justice. First, I changed his diaper. Then, shocker of shockers, the NP asked Jake to pick Justice up so they could weigh him. They weigh him right there in his isolette, but you have to pick him up first so the computer can figure out how much his bed weighs without him.


He's a big boy. He'll be 3 pounds before we know it!


Justice was super alert tonight. It was the widest we'd ever seen him open his eyes. We could actually see his pupils. And though the flash kept scaring him, we couldn't help taking pictures. Here he is all stretched out after being weighed.


Then his nurse had me "feed" him. Which consisted of holding the syringe while the 8, yes 8, mL drained into his feeding tube. No picture of that, but here's another one of him looking around. He was looking around so much and the NP said he was tracking. If I was talking he would look around for me. Then when Jake would say something his eyes would shift to where Jake was. He was trying to actually turn his head but couldn't because of his breathing tube. The NP said he's exactly where he should be neurologically.


Next, it was picture time.

Kisses from Daddy.


The weekly picture with Monkey...


Mommy's turn.


Something so simple, but the NP had me switch his pulse ox monitor from one foot to the other. Aside from flipping him on to his stomach after this picture was taken, Jake and I did pretty much everything during hands on tonight. It was great.


After he was rolled to his tummy they left his isolette open so Jake and I could talk to him some more and didn't close it until we were ready!

If Justice can tolerate the pressure setting down one more notch on the oscillator, he'll be put back on the conventional ventilator in the morning. Then, once he's stable on the vent, I can hold him! I figure if I call tomorrow and he's on the vent and doing well, I'll be out the door in a flash!


Just because, here's the picture from the other night that I promised and never put up.

2 comments:

Teri said...

He's growing so much already!!
What an absolutely exciting night. Love you much!! xoxo

Anonymous said...

Tiff, What a great suprise!! Especially since I miss read the title and thought that Alert was bad news coming! He looks so much like Jake. I will send you a picture.
I love you all!
Mom