You just never know what to expect. This morning the doctor said Justice was doing good and they would probably try him on CPAP again tomorrow.
I just got a call from the doctor and she said Justice's nurse noticed an inguinal hernia during his last diaper change. 15 out of 100 preemies develop a hernia. There is a canal between the abdomen and groin that doesn't close until the 3rd trimester. Sometimes a loop of intestine can slip through the opening into the scrotum.
Normally, surgery to repair the hernia is done right before the baby goes home. However, if there is an obstruction surgery needs to be done right away. Justice's intestines did not look normal on his x-ray so his feeds have been suspended until they determine whether or not there is an obstruction. If there is he will have to be transferred to a different hospital for the surgery. He has another x-ray in 3 hours.
I don't know if this affects his chances of getting off the ventilator tomorrow or not. Will post when I know more.
2 comments:
oh goodness. I'm sorry...keep us posted!
You know we are all praying here in Rapid... Love you Tiffany and I am still rocking you..
Barb
Post a Comment