Monday, October 13, 2008

3 lbs 2 oz

Tonight Justice weighed in at 3 lbs 2 oz. Only 3 more ounces to go and he'll have gained a pound! He's also measuring 14.25 inches now. Our favorite NP was on duty tonight. She hadn't seen him in five days and the first thing she said was, "Where did this chub come from?" I don't notice the changes much because I see him every day. But I guess if you go without seeing him for five days a gain of 6-7 ounces is going to be noticeable.

Two things happened today. Justice got another blood transfusion and he started steroid treatments. After just one treatment he was doing much better. Over the weekend his oxygen requirements just kept going up so it was decided that steroids were the best option. He did very well tonight. His sats only dropped twice while I was there, compared to almost constantly last night. After this long on the vent his little body is actually starting to fight against it which in turn makes his lungs worse, requiring more oxygen. It's such a vicious circle. He'll be on the steroids for 7-10 days.

Please pray for his little immune system, as it is suppressed by the steroids right now. Also, although the research is inconclusive, there is some evidence that the steroids may hinder his motor and/or cognitive development.

No comments: