Friday, September 19, 2008

Followed by a Good Day

Let's see if I can keep this short. Justice is having a very good day. He's still under the photo therapy lights, so both times I've seen him today he's been unbundled and all stretched out. I finally got to see his feet. He has long, chubby toes.

His sats have been great all day. They took him off the oscillator and he's back on a regular ventilator at only 30% oxygen. He is having trouble expelling his carbon dioxide though. I'm not sure what they're doing about that except just monitoring him.

His sodium and chloride were up this morning but because of his PDA they couldn't increase his fluids. The PA said he was a potato chip baby this morning, dry and salty.

I called after lunch and they had finally gotten the echo cardiogram done (they'd been waiting all morning for whoever it is that was supposed to do it) and the medicine worked. His PDA is closed! So they can increase his fluids now and hopefully his sodium levels will go down.

They have also started giving him some fat through one of his IV lines. But it will probably still be a couple weeks before he can start taking breast milk.

While I was visiting this morning my doctor came in to check on him. I thought that was pretty awesome of her.

I'll go back after dinner when Jake and girls get here. Maybe this time I'll finally remember the camera to get a picture of his feet.

There are some amazing people working in the NICU, and I'm thankful for all of them. The nurse practitioner that was on last night and will be there for the next two nights told us that they had been praying for us for weeks and that last night shortly before Jake and I had gotten there, the hospital prayer team had been in and prayed over Justice.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What an amazing God we serve! We are so blessed to be the recipients of this miracle!

Mom

Anonymous said...

AMEN! It brings tears to my eyes to think of them going to the Father on behalf of Justice! Now that is the body of Christ! :)

Anonymous said...

Wow! Prayer and medicine - what an awesome combination! So happy to hear that there is a team of professionals that serves our Father and Great Physician. You guys are in good hands. Still praying for you all...
Marybeth & Russ